Tuesday, April 28, 2009

About Alzheimer's

Dr Steve asked if one of the reasons I'm doing the Mediterranean Diet because of Alzheimer's.

Here's my answer:

Slowing the onset of Alzheimer's is my reason for doing a lot of things. I'm just expecting it to happen to me since it's so rampant in my family, so I do what I can to slow it's inevitable coming (in decades from now), including better diet, trying to learn new things and activism.

The other week, I had everyone in my family send letters to our legislators. I wrote a generic letter, which I posted on my main blog. I was prompted by a "Talk of the Nation" show on Alzheimer's (in which, horror of horrors, I AGREED with Newt Gingrich about things!)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the response, Bridge. I'm optimistic that there will be a cure or major treatment by the time you need it. For people needing it in the next 10 years, I'm not so hopeful.

    For those with the shorter time horizon, it's time to look into anti-inflammatory drugs, statin drugs, Mediterranean diet, regular exercise, and ongoing mental stimulation.

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. And good luck with your doctor visit today!

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete