Sunday, May 17, 2009

5/16 report

Crampy elves were pushing often on the guts today. Not a killing kind of pain, just a ah-ouchy type. Today was wicked boring, as they say in this town of mine.

Veg: carrots, zucchini, squash
Grain: crackers, half 3-seed whole wheat roll, whole wheat & oat grain sandwich bun, Odwalla bar
Fruit: banana, olives, dried cranberries, Odawalla bar, cranberry juice (100%, bien sur)
Dairy: brie, gouda, milk, soy milk
Legume: tofu fake chikn, plain peanut butter
N/s: Odowalla bar
Other: coffee, water, bittersweet chocolate (banana chocolate smoothie)
Bad: Nutella (about 2 tsp - 1 tbs), breading from fake chikn, chocolate in juicebox chocolate milk (I was in W Rox last night; no soy milk there...)
Walking: 1 + mile
Outside time: 30 minutes

Today we did memory exercises during dinner, like a buncha dorks, and then played Scrabble -- Mom kicked my ass. It was good "working memory" exercise. We went over the nine members of the SCOTUS (Breyer, Souter, Alito, Scalia, Bader-Ginsburg, Thomas, Roberts, Stevens, Kennedy - "ers", Italians, chick(s), first-as-last names, Irish is how I remember it). Then the fifty states and their capitols. Then the AL & NL East, Central and West. Honestly.

I heard a report on "All Things Considered" about memory retention and brain health, so we did stuff that was related to that. Like I said before, we have to do what we can to stave off that darned Looming Dementia, so memory exercises and word games it was. WHOO HOO SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

BTW, can you tell that I listen to NPR religiously, since I've mentioned it every other post this week, it seems?

Anyway, here's the link to the story on keeping your brain nimble.

No comments:

Post a Comment