
I saw this, or something like this at Whole Foods today. Except for the lack of cheese allowances (I haz a sad), I can dig this pyramid. Dr Fuhrman's also pretty disgusted by the silly USDA pyramid.
I have a collection of unreliable resources and this website is one of them:
http://www.mypyramid.org/
It's a spoof of the USDA pyramid. Where the USDA says to have 6-10 of grain, making 4-6 of them whole grains, the "U S Dept of Agribusiness" site flips that and recommends "make half yoour grains processed" etc etc.
The trouble with Dr Fuhrman's pyramid is the lack of oil -- there's so much to say for "good fats" within the Mediterranean Diet. They make you feel satiated. And you need a little bit of fat to go with your nutritient rich food so your body can absorb the nutrients better. As this Scientific American Frontiers episode I referenced previously stated, having some good fat is good for the hunger signals in the brain; they get satisfied.
What everyone agrees on is the fact that legumes, veggies and fruit and really swell things for being healthy.
But you DO eat fat on the nutritarian (Fuhrman) diet. the fat is in the form of seeds and nut which are whole foods and more satiating. Healthiest and most delicious way of eating on this planet!
ReplyDelete